Do you think that the way you present yourself can affect the first impression people have of you?

Sunday 6 March 2016

Does Dressing Well Make You More Successful?

Does physical appearance really matter when it comes to future success within a workplace? There are many opinions and views regarding whether first impressions are vital or not. Do they really matter that much in a business setting? Can a person really get a detailed sense of who you are, how you work, or how you would fit in within the company just by the appearance you portray to them? I believe it does matter. The first encounter you have with a potential client or an interviewer from a company can really set you aside from everyone else and make you stand out in either a positive way or a negative way- depending on what way you choose to go. Whether we like it or not, clothing communicates and can have a serious effect on your ability to achieve success. Clothing significantly influences how others perceive you and how they respond towards you. Studies done in the past show that how you present yourself can influence others perceptions of your financial success, authority, trustworthiness, intelligence, and stability for hire or promotion. I believe that it is just in our nature to dress appropriately according to the circumstances. I know from personal experience that when I have an interview for a job that I really want, not only will I be prepared mentally with my knowledge and skills, but I will also be prepared to the best of my ability physically. I don’t know about you but when I dress up in a way that is suitable for such job, I feel unstoppable and beyond confident. Once I know that I am ready to look the part within the company, there is this confidence that clicks all the missing pieces of the puzzle together. Your confident shines through and that is exposed for everyone to see- especially to those who matter. I believe that one’s appearance is like a book. If you reach for a book and it has a nice title page and it looks physically appealing, you would open it up and read it.  On the other hand if the book looks unpleasant and unappealing, you’re more likely to put it back on the shelf. Yes, it sounds harsh but that is just the nature of us humans. We like to see things nice, neat and appealing. So back to my original question… Do you think that your appearance reflects and has a say in how well you do success wise in your life? My opinion is a strong YES. With that, I leave you with a quote that I found from an article that perfectly summarizes how I feel about the link between success and appearance. Darlene Price, President of Well Said Inc., said "Let's be clear: In the big picture of ultimate reality, what you wear neither defines who you are as a person nor determines your value as a human being; however, in the temporal realm of mere mortals, fair or not, people judge us by the way we look and that includes the way we dress." 


Photo Retrieved From: https://tbluelion23.wordpress.com/

Smith, J. (August 19, 2014). Here’s How Your Clothing Affects Your Success. Retrieved from: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-your-clothing-impacts-your-success-2014-8


No comments:

Post a Comment